RANCHING HISTORY

Area ranching originated in the 1880's and still plays a strong role in Ouray County’s economy.

The U.S. Army opened the first Indian Agency in Conejos, New Mexico in 1869 called Los Pinos. This agency was established to integrate the Ute Indians and the westward Pioneers. Six years later, the agency moved into the Uncompahgre Valley, north of what would eventually have become Colona, Colorado. The Ute Indians camped and hunted in the area beside the Uncompahgre River, but as soon as the settlers arrived and farming came into practice, their game started to dwindle. Businesses in Ouray County started to boom with the arrival of the railroad in the late 1880s and supported established silver mines above Ouray and Telluride. What initially started as mining camps blossomed into civilized, thriving towns. Ores were shipped out to provide the miners with food and beef, which was in high demand in the area, and was plentiful starting from the foot of the San Juan Mountains. As a result, government cattle had to be brought in from Gunnison to ensure that the agency was provided with food. Soon after, the land was open to legal homesteading and the needs for farming and ranching prospered.

 

More ranchers came to settle in the area. At first, ranching for them was challenging, especially with the high altitude, which created long, extended winters and short growing seasons. Our ranch history demonstrated that close-knit communities were essential in helping each other out with ranching activities such as fall roundups and spring calving.

 

Ranch rodeos were a favorite social activity in the area. They started off as spectator sports, with little to no barriers between the audience and the participants. The county fair was later added to showcase produce, handiwork, and stalk show.

 

Ranching still remains a core part of the valley's economic history, and the Ouray Country Ranch History Museum aims to preserve that history and protect its legacy.

(Photo courtesy of OCHS)

  • Facebook B&W

FOLLOW US:

© 2020 by Ouray County Ranch History Museum   All Rights Reserved